Thursday 20 December 2007

Prayer for parliament

29th November 2007: today was my first chance to participate in prayer for parliament, a group that meets every Thusday lunchtime to pray for the UK political scene and Christians who are involved in it.
We meet in Portcullis House, the new building opposite Big Ben where many MPs have their offices. After passing through airport-style security, you can walk freely round a gallery above the central plaza until you arrive at a smart but functional meeting room which overlooks Parliament Square.
The group consists mostly of parliamentary workers; assistants, researchers, support staff. My friend and 24-7 co-conspirator Phil Togwell has already been involved for a couple of years. I certainly won't be 'taking over' from Phil (whose contribution is, how can we put this, 'unique'), but I do hope to come alongside and offer practical support and encouragement as well as simply 'being there'.
We had a good time of prayer and I met some great people, but the overwhelming sense was that this was the start of a marathon, not a sprint. I intend to be here now, every week, until I sense that God is saying otherwise.

No comments: